We're looking for you London!
Senior Staff Canteen Chef · £37,500 per year · 45 Hour week · Night Work 10pm - 7am
The Standard is one of the most culturally engaged hotels in the world. Hotels with real cultural life, an inclusive spirit and true creative attitude. A destination layered with events and amusements that leaves you with an uplifted feeling...
At the cultural heart-beat of The Standard are our team who bring to life our spaces, engage with our guests and vibrate social energy, day and night across our numerous bars, restaurants, event and guest spaces. Here at The Standard, we take a slightly different approach to our people and look far and wide for individuals that bring a unique perspective with them to our team (not a 5 page CV). We do not ask you to conform, read from a script or follow the rules (ok sometimes there are rules) but not when it comes down to you being able to express yourself or celebrate your individuality.
We are defined by our richness of personality, diversity of background and lifestyle and are now looking for a Senior Staff Canteen Chef who will embody our ‘Anything but Standard’ ethos across all aspects of food production and culinary services within our Staff Canteen.
As our Senior Staff Canteen Chef, you will oversee a team of 2 Canteen Chefs, plus 2 Service Assistants; and be responsible for the full overnight production of food and service of staff meals to our team of over 350 employees. Operating 7 days a week, our Staff Canteen serves over 300 meals a day across 3 dedicated meal periods (Lunch, Dinner and Night service).
As part of the senior kitchen team, you will work closely with the Head Chef in order to plan and cost menus; and the ongoing development of new dishes for the canteen; with a view to produce a wide variety of staple dishes and ensuring these are balanced with healthy alternatives. This role will ideally suit someone who has been used to producing volume quality dishes, that are suitable to be reheated and finished for service; in addition to being held for a short period on a hot servery.
Kitchen management is a key aspect of this role and you will be supported by a dedicated kitchen administrator. From the daily sourcing of ingredients, control of products, stock control and management of food cost, food hygiene and HACCP across all areas of the canteen.
This is not a ‘Standard’ Senior Staff Canteen Chef position so you will need to have miles and miles of personality and stamina, be highly social, upbeat and friendly; confident and can handle pressure well; thrive in a high volume, high energy environment and able to work equally well both independently and as part of a team.
Do you have what it takes to be our Senior Staff Canteen Chef at The Standard
While we take every detail of design and guest experience seriously, we do not take ourselves too seriously. ‘Standard People’ are at the heart of our brand; vivid, dynamic and engaging. You’ll intrinsically understand the unique microcosm and the context of our venues and food culture you represent.
In addition to this you will also need….
- A minimum of 3 years prior experience as a Senior Staff Chef, Sous Chef or Production Chef is essential and should have been ideally gained in a large commercial or production kitchen, contract catering environment or works canteen.
- Be willing and able to work nights (approximately 10pm – 6am)
- Have prior experience of managing a small team of chefs across a 7 day a week operation.
- Have a solid understanding of menu engineering, costing and the development of high quality dishes [combined with a touch of creative ‘blue sky’ thinking].
- Have Strong organisational skills and commercial acumen in order to manage inventory and food costs in order to minimise wastage.
- Hold professional culinary & food safety qualifications to a minimum of level 2 with the ability to develop and deliver effective training to your team to maintain consistent service standards throughout your team.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates.
- Uniform provided
- Meals on Duty
- Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance (2 x Annual Salary)
- Medical Assistance (including online GP and Physio)
- Employee Assistance Programme with Well-being service
- Discount platform including GYM
- Worldwide Travel Discounts via The Standard Advantage platform
- Employee & Family Rates across all Standard and Bunkhouse properties
- In-house Experience Programme
- F&B Discounts ranging from 25-50%
- Recruitment Referral Bonus up to £1,000
- Tuition Aid Scheme & subsidised training
- Season Ticket Loan & Bike 2 Work Scheme
- Social Committee with regular monthly social activitie