We live in an extraordinary time. Global travel has never been easier, or more accessible to so many people. The Standard exists for the thrill of experiencing new places, connecting with new cultures and hosting our guests in every corner of the world. Our way.
The Standard is more than just a place to sleep. Around the world, we do what we can to build community, help the planet and advance the causes we care about. It's in our DNA.
We’ve come a long way—with further still to go. These values guide our sustainability efforts now and in the future.
- The Standard, Maldives has installed solar panels, generating enough power to save 588.8 tons of CO2 emissions per year. That's 23,000 liters of fuel saved in the fight against emissions. We're currently testing the system to expand it sustainably in the coming years.
- We lead sustainable bar soap and container recycling programs in participating hotels.
- Our composting programs help eliminate kitchen waste in participating food + beverage outlets.
- When it’s time to replace operating supplies, furniture, fixtures and equipment at our hotels, we prioritize sustainable liquidation and charitable donation. A recent design refresh at The Standard, East Village yielded 8.2 tons of donated and recycled material.
- We've steadily reduced single-use plastics at hotels with the goal of eliminating them in 2024. Bio-plastics are the future!
- Our teams participate in environmental cleanup programs where natural environments are threatened by pollution.
We care deeply for the humanity of our guests, communities and teammates—and their comfort, safety and inclusion are always our primary responsibilities. We actively look for and embrace individuals who bring unique perspectives. At The Standard, we celebrate individuality, not conformity. Our brand platform is built to help bring individual stories and experiences to light.
- We build teams where all are welcome regardless of background, and have won diversity + inclusion awards for the workplace culture we create.
- Our team has access to complimentary mental health support (and physical health benefits) to foster a culture of wellness at every level of The Standard.
- Through Ring Your Rep and other brand platforms, we elevate the issues and encourage our guests and teams to take action for social justice.
- Our teams participate in direct action on behalf of local and global causes—medical research, alleviating poverty and strengthening community.
- Pride is a stand-out moment across all properties. Around the world we proudly stand with the LGBTQ+ community through Talks, partnerships, events and fundraising efforts.
- We use our platforms to elevate underrepresented voices in the arts, design, music, food and all creative sectors.
We believe that strong and ethical governance is the key to positive change. At every level of The Standard, we work to create fair, equitable and effective platforms for doing good in the world. From the way we act and communicate internally to how our company engages with the communities around us, governance is at the heart of our efforts to give back.
- Our company-wide Open Door Policy creates safe space for our team to report raise issues about misconduct, harassment, discrimination directly.
- We provide state-mandated anti-harassment and diversity trainings at every level of The Standard.
- Our manager-in-training programs foster emerging talent in hospitality, creating opportunities for advancement across The Standard.
- We offer our teams complimentary financial wellness education.
- Our teams recognize Black History Month, Women's Month, Ramadan, Pride, Asian American Pacific Islander Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Yom Kippur with on site and external staff events. Juneteenth is a paid company holiday in the United States.
- We comply with local laws and ordinances such as Local Law 97 in New York, to reduce the emissions produced by the city's largest buildings 40 percent by 2030 and 80 percent by 2050.