Fresh off the announcement of his upcoming album Momentary Masters and a handsome tie collection with NYC brand Jacques-Elliott, we caught up with Strokes guitarist/solo artist/all around nice guy Albert Hammond Jr. and asked him to talk a bit about style, snacks and his favorite new artists. Here's how it went down.1. Let's go back to the start. What were the first fashions or looks that really resonated with you when you were younger?
My top five would probably have to be: John Lennon’s white suit, Beethoven's hair, Buddy Holly's glasses, Bob Marley's morning runs and the Clash!
2. Do you have any favorite pieces/outfits that
have stood the test of time over the years?
I like when time brings in new things and it's a constant, subtle evolution. Nothing ever stays the same.
4. We know you are a big film buff, what are some
movies that you think really represent awesome style, either sartorial or cinematic?
In no particular order here are some favorites: The Godfather, Manhattan, North by Northwest, Pulp Fiction, Train spotting, Don't Look Back, Chinatown, Harold and Maude, Being There, Blade Runner, Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, The Graduate, A Clockwork Orange. There’s too many really. We could be here forever haha.
5. Our theme this month on Standard Culture is ‘Looking.’
What are some things you have been looking at lately that have captured your
I am really into Tali Lennox's artwork. Everyone should check out her work.
6. You have a new album, Momentary Masters,
coming out in July, and worked with Lizzie Nanut on the cover. What
was that like?
We are sisters or brothers or whatever you wanna call it. Working with Lizzie is like falling in love. You can do it over and over again.
7. Do you have any favorite food or cooking blogs? Where do you go to check for new recipes? For the most part I cook things I know and then branch out slowly. One of my favorite things has been getting ground turkey or ground meat and making burgers. I cut jalapeños and onions. Put that in a pan to cook the water out and then mix the ground meat with salt and the grilled jalapeños and onions. I do most of my cooking with my oven’s broiler. When they are done cooking I usually pair the proteins with a large salad and/or lots of veggies.
8. What are your must have items for summer
Nude bodies, of course. What would summer be without them.