Since its opening in July 2019 The Standard, London has boldly propelled The Standard brand onto the international stage. The hotel playfully respects the building's history while creating new expansive spaces for the neighbourhood to play from our bars, terraces, restaurants, lounges and event spaces throughout the building.
Housed in the former Camden Town Hall Annex in London’s thriving King’s Cross neighbourhood, the 1974 Brutalist building has been meticulously restored and sets the perfect stage for The Standard’s first hotel outside America. The Standard, London has 266 rooms ranging from our snug Cosy Core rooms to terraced suites with outdoor bathtubs overlooking the dramatic St Pancras station. On the ground floor, you'll find Double Standard, our street-facing bar and restaurant home of our legendary burger, Aperol Spritz slushy and our Bottomless Sunday Brunch. (Don't forget to book!) Next door is The Library Lounge, where our carefully curated library pays homage to the building’s original use, and, our Sounds Studio, home of our virtual culture hub, Sometimes Radio. Our 10th-floor restaurant, Decimo is back, where Chef Peter Sanchez-Iglesias’ showcases his live-fire cooking surrounded by 360-degree views of London - only accessible by our iconic exterior red pill lift.
At the heart of our hotels are, of course, the people who through their vibrancy bring our properties to life. We are now seeking an experienced and dynamic individual that will capture the essence of The Standard, London to join our team as our F&B Controller.
Reporting to the F&B Director and a dotted line to our Finance Director, you will support our Restaurants, Bars and Event spaces with all aspects of F&B cost control ensuring that stock and costs of sales are monitored for maximum efficiency.
As a senior member of our team; you will directly manage a number of operational systems including our purchasing system [Birchstreet] through to our ‘Point of Sale’ system [Squirrel] providing hardware and software support when necessary, administering user and item databases, troubleshooting and updating menu items, and ensuring that purchases are coded to the correct cost centres. You will be responsible for creating, implementing and maintaining procedures and work closely with the back of house and kitchen teams to ensure that quality controls are in place and accurate; and oversee the monthly stocktakes and general management of the hotel’s inventory with our Purchasing manager.
From as strategic perspective you will work closely with the F&B and Finance Director to plan and build our annual F&B budget as well as monitor and report on revenue (average check, sales mix) costs of sales and payroll on a daily basis. In addition to this, you will manage all financial responsibilities for the F&B department from menu costing and engineering to ensure maximum yields are achieved on each cover, assisting with the preparation of reports and journals. You will also support and coach our outlet managers to ensure that they understand their operational budgets, revenue targets and control costs.
This is not a ‘Standard’ F&B Controller role so you will need to have serious stamina and passion, be highly social, upbeat and friendly; confident and handle pressure well; thrive in a high volume, high energy environment and able to work equally well both independently and as part of a senior leadership team.
Do you have what it takes our F&B Controller....
While we take every detail of design and guest experience seriously, we do not take ourselves too seriously. ‘Standard People’ are at the heart of our brand; vivid, dynamic and engaging. You will need to be a confident and proactive self-starter and are ideally seeking an individual with a number of years’ experience gained in a senior F&B Controller role gained within the UK or International Hospitality industry. In addition to this you will also need….
- Minimum of 3-5 years F&B Control experience, ideally combined with a background in purchasing or finance; gained within a large hotel with multiple F&B outlets.
- An operational background within bars and restaurants is of course preferred as are candidates from the Luxury ‘Lifestyle’ or boutique hotel sector.
- A solid financial understanding with experience in preparing budgets, forecasting, and the production revenue, COGS, inventory and labour reports
- Have expert abilities in managing food costs and menu engineering to maximise sales and yield
- Have prior experience of writing and implementing operational guidelines and control procedures
- Extensive experience in preparing and managing accommodation budgets and controlling costs
- Have expert/admin knowledge of POS systems [Squirrel], Birchstreet, Accubar and Profitsword; as well as Advanced skills on Excel.
- Finally, you will be a highly motivated and pro-active team player, equally at home in a busy restaurant operation as well undertaking detailed analysis of numbers.
We are defined by our richness of personality and diversity of background and lifestyle so if you think you have what it takes to be our F&B Controller we’d love to meet with you.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates.
- Meals on duty
- Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Employee and Friends & Family Rates across all Standard properties
- F&B Discounts
- Recruitment Referral Bonus up to £500
- Tuition Aid Scheme
- Season Ticket Loan & regular social activities
- Bike 2 Work scheme