The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of Every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice combine with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renowned globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cook food of high quality according to standard recipes.
- Manage multiple teams and stations (hot and cold) for consistency.
- Assist with the preparation, presentation, decoration, and storage of all food items.
- Ensure appropriate levels for food, beverage, materials, and equipment are ready throughout the kitchen for a successful service.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of menus, ingredients, out-of-stock items, and current specials in all applicable venues. Training employees as needed.
- Perform opening and closing duties according to the established side work checklist.
- Ensure all areas are maintained in a clean and organized manner, keeping assigned stations and service areas maintained during shifts.
- Manage and assist other team members as needed, both with and without the direction of management.
- Maintain positive and effective communication with team members and managers regarding all relevant information, special considerations, and/or concerns about our members.
- Ensure items and supplies are re-stocked as needed and communicate shortages to ensure proper purchasing.
- Communicate and plan actionable corrections on all and any health and/or safety concerns/violations immediately to the management.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- Understand and ensure departmental compliance with all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines, and training programs.
- Assume 100% responsibility for the quality of food cooked.
- Work with Executive Sous and Executive Chef to train employees and onboard new team members.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Assist in the investigation of member complaints regarding food quality and service.
- Any other task as assigned.
- Carry, push, or lift items weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Long periods of standing.
- Periods of outside work.
- Move about the kitchen, BOH, and public areas.
- Knife skills and knife handling, other objects such as pots, pans and kitchen equipment.
- Bend, kneel, stoop as needed.
- Ability to taste and smell food.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of 2+ years of cooking experience in a lifestyle hotel or upscale restaurant.
- A strong team player who supports their team and embraces ownership, accountability, and responsibility for the team’s work.
- Fluent in the English language, write, read, speak. Bi or Multi-lingual preferred.
- Detail-oriented, good prioritization and follow-up skills.
- Solid understanding of Health and Safety, Food Hygiene, and Employment Legislation.
- Demonstrated knife skills and safe food handling practices.
- Open availability and flexibility to work according to the needs of the business.
- SERV Safe or equivalent certification.
- Culinary arts or a related field of education or experience preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range $65k – $70k / Year.
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage.
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance.
- 401k with Company match.
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays.
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace.
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts.
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!!!
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based on job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.