Executive Sous Chef
The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice combine with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renowned globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish the day’s priorities and assign production and prep tasks to staff to execute.
- Review banquet function sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next 7 days.
- Meet with the Executive Steward to review equipment needs, banquet plate-up assistance needs, cleaning schedule/project status, health/safety, and sanitation follow-up.
- Ensure that staff reports are working as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate meal periods and rest breaks for staff.
- Assist the Catering department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, F&B meetings, pre-convention meetings, B.E.O. review meetings.
- Test cooked foods by tasting and smelling them.
- Assist Executive Chef in sourcing, pricing, and creating relationships for all culinary products.
- Recipe & costing documentation.
- Competitive Analysis.
Food Cost & Budgeting
- Drive strategic sourcing initiatives to increase food quality and consistency and decrease cost.
- Tightly manage recipes, ingredients, and processes to control for allergies.
- Invoice organization & “life cycle.”
- Provide costing information.
- Managing vendor relationships.
- Sales analysis & Avero usage.
- Waste awareness & utilization.
- Maintain inventory of food and non-food supplies to stay within established guidelines while assuring that necessary product is available when needed.
- Spend within budget constraints.
- Product cross utilization.
- Train kitchen staff in food preparation, safe handling, operation of equipment, food safety, and sanitation based on company and Board of Health standards.
- Recruit, Interview and hire employees all salaried kitchen employee hires.
- Manage Team with the Director of F&B and HR for any/all discipline, training, and “coach counsel” opportunities.
- Monitor efficiency, productivity, and workflow.
- Schedule employees, flexing staffing to seasonal trends and scaling labor to revenue.
- Provide oversight to the development of training tools for program implementation. Should include key materials including manuals, planning diagrams, plating specifications, and associated flow diagrams. Also responsible for creating culinary workshops and presentations.
- Menu descriptions, and allergy charts.
- Staff tastings.
- Labor Maintaining pars.
- Budgeting labor expenditures.
- Managing OT.
Health & Safety
- Comply with federal, state, and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures as evidenced through the local health department.
- Establish and maintains cleaning and maintenance schedules for equipment, storage, and work areas. Ensures that kitchen staff follows and completes schedules as assigned.
- Inspection preparedness.
- Follow proper food safety practices in all of BOH as well as assisting FOH.
- HACCP Plan & implementation: logs, rigor, etc.
- Follow facility, department, and Company safety policies and procedures.
Repair & Maintenance
- Keep the kitchen and applicable equipment in working order.
- Place service calls with Engineering.
- Educate staff on the proper use & care of equipment.
- Follow up with Engineering Dept. & vendors about repair status.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 3+ years’ management experience working in a lifestyle hotel or upscale restaurant.
- Culinary arts or a related field of education or experience
- SERV Safe or equivalent certification.
- Knowledge of AVERO, Micros, Birchstreet, Kronos, Costing, Inventory.
- Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures.
- Fluent in the English language, write, read, speak. Bi or Multi-lingual preferred.
- Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, and prioritize tasks.
- Solid understanding of Health and Safety, Food Hygiene, and Employment Legislation.
- Strong communication, organization, and management skills.
- Ability to be initiative and work independently.
- Ability to adhere to high levels of confidentiality.
- Have an outgoing, upbeat personality and positive attitude.
- Handle working in a high-energy and fast-paced environment.
- Guest-service oriented.
- Have the sincere desire to serve guests.
- Carry, push, or lift items weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Long periods of standing.
- Periods of outside work.
- Move about the kitchen, BOH, and public areas.
- Knife skills and knife handling, other objects such as pots, pans and kitchen equipment.
- Bend, kneel, stoop as needed.
- Ability to taste and smell food.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay Rate $95k – $105k / year.
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage.
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance.
- 401k with Company match.
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays.
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace.
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts.
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!!!