Executive Chef/Director of F&B
The Standard, Melbourne
Join an exciting, pre-opening Hotel to launch the most powerful international brand in the Boutique Hotel business, into the Australian Hotel scene.
The Standard is a part of Standard International – a New York based hospitality company founded in 1999. The Standard’s irreverent and playful sensibility, combined with a careful consideration of design, detail and service, have established its reputation as a pioneer of hospitality, travel, dining, nightlife and beyond.
WE ARE #anythingbutstandard
We aim to bring a fresh twist and new life to dining and nightlife experiences. Our point of view is informed and refined, and our restaurants, like our hotels, vibrate with the social energy of our time. Core to the experience of The Standard Melbourne, is our food and drink offerings aiming to broaden people’s horizons while engaging and intriguing our communities. Throughout our dining and social spaces, you will create unique experiences for guests going above and beyond for them to have extraordinary experiences. You are responsible for a strong focus on outstanding operations, guest satisfaction, financial performance, and employee welfare.
- Work with the Group Culinary Operations team to design and implement menus, beverage and dining experiences in line with the Group culinary vision
- Manage and oversee all kitchen and F&B operations in our amazing Restaurant, Rooftop Terraza, The Bodega, intimate dining and both secret and social spaces
- Lead and direct the culinary and food and beverage teams to create culinary, dining and entertainment experiences that will exceed our guests expectations
- Implement systems and procedures to ensure menus are delivered consistently and are at the highest level of culinary innovation and creativity
- Responsible for ordering and managing goods and stock in a cost effective manner with minimal wastage and in line with the budget
- Responsible for the annual F&B budget ensuring labour and food costs are in line and closely managed
- Responsible for shift planning and allocation of duties for both the culinary and FOH Teams
- Guide the culinary and service teams demonstrating technical skills and sharing knowledge, ensuring that they are trained and briefed in the company goals, mission, principles, procedures and standards
- Ensure all culinary and F&B equipment is well maintained
- Manage all food safety practices ensuring that HACCP standards are met and followed
- Ensure that both the culinary and service teams are properly trained, and any training needs are identified and managed with the HR team
Experience & Qualifications
- Full culinary qualifications
- Extensive work experience with international cuisines with an Asian influence preferred
- Demonstrated experience leading and mentoring both a kitchen brigade and front of house operation to high standards
- Experience in budgeting, cost control with strong financial and organisational skills
- Experience managing an entire high end, F&B operation with several outlets and options
- Throughout the Hotel we actively seek to employ a unique, diverse and thoughtful group of people that are committed to delivering our unconventional brand of hospitality whilst also growing with us.
- You are committed to and fully comprehend the idea of being of service;
- You do not just delight guests, but excite them–by creating unique, unexpected & memorable experiences;
- You are ambitious, vibrant and social/friendly individuals;
- You genuinely embrace diversity in all forms, interested to have people from all race and gender to be their friend;
- You encourage genuine relationships with guests that enable them to not only pre-empt needs but foresee desires;
- You have personality and depth;
- You have a desire and unyielding appetite for learning & knowledge—being in-the-know with what is happening in the city and around the world;
- You value creativity in areas like music, food and dining, cinema, art, performance, fashion, design and/or tech and business;
- They are engaging, socially adept and solution-based individuals able to navigate the scene with confidence and ease;
- You are able to entertain guests in a compassionate, respectful and meaningful manner;
- You are authentically yourself;
- You want to play a role in constructing a kinder and better world.
We are not for everyone …. but everyone is welcome.
The Standard Values
Unconventional & Compassionate | Individuality & Teamwork | Creative & PragmaticApply Now