General Counsel is a key role for Standard International globally which owns The Standard, Bunkhouse and Peri collection of hotel brands. This individual will sit on the executive level of the Company as an Executive Vice President who provides legal advice and strategies to the organization’s executive team. This role reports directly to the President + will oversee the legal teams and all legal aspects of the organization globally. The General Counsel will help the company continue to execute its strategic plan and expand its growing footprint around the globe through its robust pipeline of opportunities (e.g. Bangkok, Singapore, Ibiza, Dublin, Lisbon, Las Vegas, Milan, Melbourne).
- Provide legal analysis, strategy and solutions for entire brand portfolio in a legally sound manner that balances risks with achievement of the company’s general business goals and objectives.
- Participate as lead "managing" counsel in various litigation/general counsel initiatives.
- Help to create, negotiate and enforce management agreements.
- Securing permits and approvals, obtaining licenses, navigating complex regulatory schemes, and handling labor and employment issues.
- Preparing conveyance and closing documents, reviewing and negotiating partnership agreements, supervising and managing entity formation documents, assisting with corporate governance and business matters.
- Remain fully updated on legal trends, industry trends and changes to laws and regulations related to litigation matters.
- Primary legal contact point between Human Resources and President/CEO/Board.
- Prepare and present legal updates to President/CEO/Board.
- Oversee external counsel and drive cost efficient results globally.
- Juris Doctorate degree.
- Proven lead or general counsel experience in the hospitality business.
- International legal experience.
- In-house experience is a requirement.
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, hospitality law, litigation, labor and employment law, contract law, etc.).
- Full understanding of core hospitality contracts (HMA, TSA, License agreements, etc.).
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations.
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives and communicate concisely to meet the Company’s needs.
- Well-versed in how the hotel/restaurant business operate with financial acumen.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- First class interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner.”
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an asset.