Learning & Development Manager
The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
Standard’s unique sensibility and voice, combines with careful consideration of
design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create
destinations renown globally.
believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new
markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels
layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and
nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard High Line is located in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
This position will be responsible for Learning & Development activities at The Standard High Line. This includes, but isn’t limited to, developing and implementing series of relevant trainings for the different departments, implementing an ongoing development program for all, managing the MIT program, managing the onboarding process for new hires, and regularly inspecting learned knowledge by observing the floor.
- Assess training needs throughout the Hotel in conjunction with Department Heads, the Managing Director, and Human Resources.
- Compile, organize training spaces and distribute monthly training calendars.
- Oversee and conduct Company New Hire Orientation weekly.
- Develop onboarding templates for each department / position, updating them as needed.
- Develop and implement series of relevant hospitality and job focused trainings throughout the Hotel.
- Oversee onboarding materials and ensure that all new hires are receiving proper onboarding.
- Manage the MIT program and mentor the MIT employees.
- Contact and coordinate external training providers based on needs.
- Assess and report back on external training providers.
- Ensure that all Learning & Development material is kept relevant and up to date.
- Coordinate venues for training with events and F&B as needed.
- Conduct training throughout Hotel and all outlets.
- Build training sessions and courses that fit in with the training needs of each department.
- Ensure that all training is carried out to the required standards.
- Ensure that all training is recorded in the relevant system.
- Compile and submit a weekly L&D Report to the Managing Director and Human Resources.
- Encourage and support a learning culture throughout all departments.
- Spend time getting involved within the Operation.
- Ensure that all Learning & Development costs are kept within budget.
- Whenever possible attend departments meetings and briefings.
- Support the Human Resources function as needed.
- Maintains professional relationships with all coworkers and guests.
- Properly communicating with other departments daily regarding needs / activities / issues.
- Identify and report hazards and maintenance requirements in the workplace.
- Inspects quality and consistency from the floor in all areas of development and employee performance. Takes opportunities for training in the moment and communicating to leadership teams as needed.
- Any other tasks as assigned.
- 3+ years’ relative experience with a proven track record of leading a professional, efficient, high quality, service-oriented operation.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
- A sophisticated communicator with high standards of performance together with excellent communication, problem solving and listening skills.
- Passionate about the Hospitality Industry.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to create strong relationships with guests, members, and staff.
- $80k – $85k per year
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage
- Life Insurance, Disability
Insurance, Pet Insurance
401k with Company match
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavour to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.Apply Now