The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of Every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice combine with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renowned globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Engineers are responsible for maintaining the general condition of the property with regards to all aspects of basic electrical, carpentry, plumbing, mechanical and painting work. This position completes maintenance request work orders from all departments on a timely basis and participates in the preventive maintenance program for all-building equipment and rooms.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Able to work standing for a minimum period of 8 hours a day
- Periodical bending, kneeling, and stretching
- Able to pull, push, carry and lift at least 50 pounds of force
- Must be able to seize, grasp, turn and hold objects with hands
- Requires manual ability to use, carry, and operate all necessary equipment
- Ability to endure under variable temperature conditions, noise levels, outdoor weather, and atmospheric conditions (being around fumes, odor hazards, dust, mite hazards, chemicals, etc)
- Ability to work in cramped or tight spaces
- Understanding: Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures
- Comprehension: Fluent in the English language
- Organizational Skills: Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks
- Hygiene and Sanitation: Adherence to uniform, grooming and personal hygiene standards and expectations per SOP’s
- Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings when scheduled
- Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations
- Minimum one (1) year experience as a commercial electrician.
- Working knowledge of all electrical supplies and equipment.
- Knowledge of proper chemical handling and disposal.
Working knowledge of:
National and local health codes National and local electrical codes National and local national/local fire codes National and local mechanical codes blue prints and wiring schematics power and hand tools, meters, etc. as it relates to the technical trades
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Receive daily work assignments from Chief Engineer/Supervisor and review priorities and special projects.
- Organize materials, tools and equipment to perform daily assignments.
- Maintain timelines and work schedule in accordance with the preventive maintenance program.
- Check work orders and night report for any problems. Make rounds checking these problem areas and note any information needed or safety concerns in the hotel.
- Schedule work in accordance with preventive maintenance program in rooms, coordinating with the Executive Housekeeper and Front Office.
- Perform electrical work orders:
- Replace light switches.
- Reset circuit breakers.
- Replace wall plug receptacles.
- Replace fluorescent light ballast.
- Replace electrical solenoid valve.
- Replace small motors.
- Use test equipment; multi-meter, voltage tester, amp probe.
- Perform plumbing work orders:
- Unplug sinks, toilets, garbage disposals and drain lines.
- Repair or replace valves, gate, globe, ball, solenoid valves.
- Replace washer, gaskets, vacuum breakers, toilet seals.
- Work with different types of pipe including conduit, copper, black, cast iron and pipe hangers.
- Perform Preventive Maintenance work orders:
- Monitor and maintain all laundry and dry cleaning equipment.
- Monitor and maintain all kitchen equipment.
- Maintain guestrooms using Rooms Preventive Maintenance Program Punch List.
- Change air-conditioning filters every quarter.
- Check HVAC equipment; change filters, belts, bearings and lubricate as necessary. Also check for unusual noise or vibration, adjusting as necessary.
- Change or repair locks as needed.
- Cut and mark keys for guestroom key inventory.
- Check and test-run emergency generator weekly.
- Perform general maintenance to guestrooms and public areas.
- Assist electrician, carpenter, plumber and painter in all phases of repair work.
- Assist other engineering personnel as instructed by supervisor in regards to routine and preventive maintenance.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the work area to include:
- Requisition (receipt and storage)
- Trash removal and clean up
- Maintain the proper use, cleaning, maintenance and storage of all tools.
- Handle chemicals for designated uses/surfaces.
- Ensure security of any assigned keys.
- Assist with any special projects assigned.
- Assist with rooms maintenance which includes replacement of switches, outlets, light bulbs, rewiring of lamps and appliances, caulking bath tubs, shower head replacement.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Duty Engineer, which includes carrying the pager, conducting rounds and checking building equipment.
- Attend designated department and staff meetings.
- Recommend energy saving ideas.
- Recommend safety ideas; participates in fire prevention and other life safety programs.
- Wipe down walls, clean and paint as needed.
- Repair furniture.
- Build storage bins, shelves, etc.
- Perform other duties as requested
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary $30/hour
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance
- 401k with Company match
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holiday
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!!!