Steward, The Standard, High Line
Executive Steward & Assistant, Executive Chef & Sous Chef, Supervisors
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Food and Beverage
Executive Steward & Assistant, Executive Chef
& Sous Chef, Supervisors
Ensures kitchen work areas (including main kitchen, stewarding department, cafeteria and outlets) and operating equipment including but not limited to cookware, dishware, utensils and appliances are in proper supply, and clean, orderly condition by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ability to perform duties with attention to details, speed, accuracy, follow-through and cooperativeness.
· Ability to follow directions.
· Ability to adapt to meet priority changes of workflow or requirements.
· Ability to operate designated machinery.
· Ability to remain extremely alert while operating machinery.
· Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
· Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work areas.
· Ability to endure abundant physical movements in cleaning various work areas.
· Use correct cleaning chemicals for designated items, according to OSHA regulations and hotel requirements.
· Set up and organize workstation with designated supplies and equipment; report shortages to supervisor. Replenish as needed throughout the shift.
· Check the working condition of dishwashing machine in accordance with specifications; rectify any deficiencies.
· Fill the dishwashing machine with specified amounts of designated chemicals. Ensure the temperature level of each cycle is set to standard.
· Organize the breakdown area for drop off of dirty wares according to department standards. Remove excess food, debris and film from soiled wares before placing them in the dishwashing machine.
· Position wares in designated racks correctly and send through dishwashing machine only when full.
· Clean only designated wares in the dishwashing machine.
· Remove washed wares from dishwashing machine and allow to air dry.
· Inspect the cleanliness and condition of all washed wares and rewash wares not meeting standards.
· Sort, stack and store cleaned wares in designated areas. Handle all wares carefully to prevent breakage and loss.
· Change dishwashing machine water/filters and refill as specified to ensure all wares are properly cleaned.
· Monitor usage of dishwashing machine and chemicals to maximize consumption of water and chemicals.
· Maintain cleanliness and working condition of garbage disposal.
· Maintain cleanliness and organization of work areas throughout shift.
· Breakdown and clean dishwashing machine and work areas following specifications in accordance with department standards.
· Clean and sanitize pots, pans, utensils and other kitchen equipment in accordance to departmental standards.
· Stock kitchen lines with designated cleaned wares, utensils and equipment.
· Clean spills in kitchen and work areas immediately.
· Use designated chemicals, supplies and equipment to clean various floor surfaces (brooms, mops, stripper, buffer, etc.).
· Clean mats according to standards.
· Maintain cleanliness and organization of supply/storage closets; remove trash, wipe down shelves/counters; clean floors; remove items that do not belong and place in correct areas.
· Report any damage, maintenance problems or safety hazards to the supervisor.
· Adhere to all Health Department, sanitation and safety regulations as required by the hotel.
· Organize and restock work areas for next shift as specified in departmental standards.
· Clean refrigerators/freezers, service hallways, service elevators and other items as assigned. Work with chemical and machine repair personnel to repair machine, improve quality or standards, increase productivity or capacity of machine.
· Complete job functions of other departmental positions as assigned.
· Assist in plating up banquet meals.
· Assist in inventories as assigned.
· Assist in setting up banquet functions supplies, according to banquet event function plus supervisor instructions.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Throughout the hotel we actively seek to employ a unique, diverse and thoughtful group of people that are committed to delivering our unconventional brand of hospitality while also growing with us.
· They are committed to and fully comprehend the idea of being of service;
· They do not just delight guests, but excite them–by creating unique, unexpected & memorable experiences;
· They are ambitious, vibrant and social/friendly individuals;
· They genuinely embrace diversity in all forms, interested to have people from all race and gender to be their friend;
· They encourage genuine relationships with guests that enable them to not only preempt needs but foresee desires;
· They have personality and depth;
· They have a desire and unyielding appetite for learning & knowledge—being in-the-know with what is happening in the city and around the world;
· They are creative in areas like music, cinema, art, performance, fashion, design, tech and business;
· They are engaging, socially adept and solution-based individuals able to navigate the scene with confidence and ease;
· They are able to entertain guests in a compassionate, respectful and meaningful manner;
· They are authentically themselves;
They want to play a role in constructing a kinder and better world.
· Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions, preferably bilingually.
· Have at least 1 to 3 months prior experience in similar position.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
· Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance
· Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
· Have organizational skills.
· Have sanitation skills.
· Command of the English language.
· Must have Open Availability to be considered.
· Must have proper means of transportation to be considered.
· Level of experience in a high volume, high end hotel is recommended but not required.
· Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 lb. without assistance.
· Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
· Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
· Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
· Remain in stationary position for extended periods of time.
· Work with sharp objects in a safe manner.
· Will be exposed to hot and cold temperature extremes.
Salary: $22/ hour
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.