Raa Atoll, home of The Standard, Maldives, is just a hop, skip, and speedboat away from the magical manta rays found in the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve of Hanifaru Bay.
For a moment in time between May and November, hundreds of manta rays (and even whale sharks!) gather to take advantage of Hanifaru Bay’s plankton-rich waters, making it one of the best destinations in the world for marine megafauna encounters.
Although our manta friends can be massive in size, spanning an average width of 300-400 cm and weighing around 700 kg, they are harmless and pose no danger to humans. In fact, they are curious pelagic creatures that swim around snorkelers and divers, and there’s no better place to experience this absolute must in the Maldives than with us.
The Standard, Maldives is not only situated 25-minutes away from the Bay, we’re also a strong advocate for sustainable tourism, strictly adhering to Manta Trust's guidelines on Manta Ray encounters.
The Manta Ray Excursion at Hanifaru Bay by our Water Sports team is run responsibly, providing guests with information on how they can enjoy this unique wildlife experience in a respectful and ethical manner.
Before you meet your manta mate in real life, gather your intel with some obligatory stalking first…
- Mantas are among the largest animals in the ocean, weighing as much as 1,350 kg (3,000 lb) with a wingspan of up to 7 m (23 ft).
- Mantas have large brains, relative to their size. As a matter of fact, they have the largest brain in all of the fish species.
- The name "Manta" comes from the Spanish word meaning "mantle" after their appearance.
- If they stop swimming, they'll sink.
- They can be individually identified by the spots on the underside of their bodies, much like our fingerprints.
- Despite their gigantic size, they are filter feeders and typically feed on zooplankton and are totally harmless!
Want more? Yes, you do. Subscribe to The Standard to get it all delivered to your inbox, including up to 15% off on your first stay. You'll get it all first, from new property openings and hotel updates to special offers and fun happenings.