The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of Every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice combine with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renowned globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
The Steward ensures that the kitchen work areas (including but not limited to the main kitchen, stewarding department, cafeteria and outlets) and operating equipment (including but not limited to cookware, dishware, utensils and appliances) are in proper supply, and clean, orderly condition by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Use correct cleaning chemicals and amounts for designated items, according to OSHA regulations and hotel requirements.
- Set up and organize workstation with designated supplies and equipment; report shortages to supervisor. Replenish as needed throughout the shift.
- Clean, sort, and maintain all wares, pots and pans, utensils, appliances, machines, and work areas according to company standards.
- Handle with care to prevent breakage and loss.
- Monitor usage of dishwashing machine and chemicals to maximize consumption of water and chemicals.
- Stock kitchen lines with designated cleaned wares, utensils and equipment.
- Clean spills in kitchen and work areas immediately.
- Use designated chemicals, supplies and equipment to clean various floor surfaces (brooms, mops, stripper, buffer, etc.).
- Clean kitchen mats according to standards.
- Adhere to all Health Department, sanitation and safety regulations as required by the hotel.
- Organize and restock work areas for next shift as specified in departmental standards.
- Clean refrigerators/freezers, service hallways, service elevators and other items as assigned.
- Assist in inventories as assigned.
- Complete job functions of other departmental positions as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Have at least 3+ months prior experience in a similar position.
- Level of experience in a high-volume, high-end hotel is recommended but not required.
- Ability to perform duties with attention to details, speed, accuracy, follow-through and cooperativeness.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions.
- Have strong organizational skills.
- Have strong sanitation skills.
- Ability to read and understand labels for products and machine use.
- Able to work standing and walking for a minimum period of 8 hours a day.
- Periodical bending, kneeling, and stretching.
- Able to pull, push, carry, and lift at least 40 pounds of force.
- Must be able to seize, grasp, turn, and hold objects with hands.
- Ability to adapt to meet priority changes of workflow or requirements.
- Ability to operate designated machinery.
- Ability to remain extremely alert while operating machinery.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work areas.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements in cleaning various work areas.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay Rate $22 / hour.
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage.
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance.
- 401k with Company match.
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays.
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace.
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts.
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!!!
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based on job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.