In Room Dining
The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice, combines with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renown globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by
culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and
enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities,
collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and
wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
The In Room Dining Server is responsible for courteously and efficiently answer In-Room Dining phones, take, and input guests’ orders and settle checks in the POS system according to hotel specifications. Process payment of guest checks in accordance with accounting requirements and maintain accountabilities for all financial transactions. Delivers food and beverage orders to guest rooms according to hotel specifications, courteously and efficiently. This includes assisting in the maintenance of the Room Service area and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain knowledge of all menu items, preparation method, ingredients, sauces, preparation time, garnishes, presentation, and prices.
- Maintain knowledge of designated glassware and garnishes for drinks.
- Maintain knowledge of the characteristics and description of every wine / champagne by the glass and major wines on the wine list.
- Maintain knowledge of guest room layout, locations, and room numbers / names.
- Maintain knowledge and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors.
- Maintain knowledge of P.O.S. and manual systems.
- Delivers food and beverage orders to guest rooms, maintaining professionalism at all times.
- Collects trays and tables from guest floors and rooms as required.
- Completes Opening Duties checklist as required.
- Completes Closing Duty checklist as required.
- Performs Order Taker duties as required.
- Maintains excellent guest relations and service.
- Accommodates guest requests and exceeds expectations.
- Any tasks as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures.
- Fluent in the English language, multi-lingual is helpful but not required.
- Customer service oriented.
- Knowledge of food and beverages.
- Work efficiently, ability to multitask and task prioritizations skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently.
- Ability to maintain composure in a potentially stressful environment.
- Adherence to uniform, grooming and personal hygiene standards and expectations per SOP’s.
- Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time. Attendance at mandatory meetings when scheduled.
- Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard High Line policies, standards and expectations.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing up to 40 lbs. without assistance.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
Compensation and Benefits
- $18.00 per hour plus tips
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance
- 401k with Company match
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.