We aim to bring a fresh twist on and new life to dining and nightlife experiences. Our point of view is informed and refined, and our restaurants, like our hotels, vibrate with the social energy of our time. Core to the experience of The Standard Bangkok Mahanakhon, is our food and drink offerings aiming to broaden people’s horizons while engaging and intriguing our communities.
Throughout the Food & Beverage Division you create unique experiences for guests going above and beyond for them to have extraordinary experience within and across the different outlets.
Responsible for the overall success of the hotel’s wine and beverage programs. Responsible for curating unique and interesting wine and beverage menus whilst controlling stock levels to maximize revenue and ensure guest satisfaction.
Manage beverage agreements and maintain relationships with key wine and beverage suppliers with the utmost integrity. Educate service teams on wine product knowledge and service skills. Assist guests with selection and pairings of wines and other beverages.
As a Head Sommelier you demonstrate technical skills and product knowledge and use this to provide daily operational success for the Food and Beverage outlets. You cherish these moments, work together as a team, promote harmony, enhance productivity, and have fun.
As a Head Sommelier you report to the Food and Beverage Manager and assist the Beverage, Bars and Outlet Managers and provide guidance to other colleagues when needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist guests and offer advice with their choice of wine and beverages and be able to up-sell and promote beverages at every available opportunity.
- Ensure correct handling, storage, and cleaning of all wine service equipment.
- Establish and maintain par levels for wine stock, supplies and equipment.
- Ensure completion of requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Ensure wine orders are received correctly, properly stored, recorded and kept secured.
- Ensure monitoring of use of opened wine in hotel outlets.
- Check wine storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness.
- Manage beverage agreements with key wine and beverage suppliers.
- Liaise and coordinate with wine suppliers for wine updates, training and promotions and develop and conduct all wine-related staff training programs.
- Be aware of and comply with alcohol licensing laws.
- Answer guest questions or concerns regarding the origin, vintage, and style of various wines.
- Ensure all wine lists are current and accurate, and update and maintain wine list and point of sales system.
- Conduct vintage and BIN number checks.
- Create sales plan for slow moving items and design and implement wine promotions and incentive programs.
- Play a significant role in maximizing financial performance by attracting hotel and non-hotel guests.
- Works with DOFB and finance team on purchases and inventory by looking at prices, contracts and developing preferred supplier lists, reviewing and evaluating usage reports, and taking corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure a service-oriented culture focusing on guests’ needs.
- Attend meetings with senior management to discuss future business strategies and review ongoing action plans and progress.
- Ensure a service-oriented culture focusing on guests’ needs
- Be well versed in the hotel’s fire and life safety emergency procedures
- Apply necessary precautions with regards to the hotel food safety and hygiene standards (HACCP)
- Maintain the highest standard of personal appearance and cleanliness
- Perform other duties assigned by the management
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum Secondary / High school education degree
- Relevant qualifications and courses in wine related subjects including WSET and Sommelier Certification
- Excellent reading, writing and oral proficiency in English and Thai language
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals
- Pre-opening experience an asset
- Passionate and knowledgeable about wine and other beverages
- Energetic and personable
- Good communication and customer contact skills
- Service orientated with an eye for detail
- Ability to work well in stressful and high-pressure situations
- A team player and self-starter
- Perform job with attention to details and the ability to organize and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to understand the flow of service and support colleagues