Chef de Cuisine
Chef de Cuisine, The Standard, High Line
Executive Chef, The Standard, High Line
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Food and Beverage
Direct: Executive Chef
All Kitchen Management Team Members
Executive Chef SHL, F&B Managers, Sous & Pastry Chefs, HR, Payroll, Accounting, Reservation, Events, Sales, Catering, Reservations, Engineering
Corporate & Ownership, Hotel Guests, Visitors, Vendors, Special Events Guests, Entertainers, Reviewers, Critics, Press (through approved channels and resources)
F&B Office, all Kitchens, and Restaurants
Qualifications and Requirements:
Throughout the hotel we actively seek to employ a unique, diverse and thoughtful group of people that are committed to delivering our unconventional brand of hospitality while also growing with us.
· They are committed to and fully comprehend the idea of being of service;
· They do not just delight guests, but excite them–by creating unique, unexpected & memorable experiences;
· They are ambitious, vibrant and social/friendly individuals;
· They genuinely embrace diversity in all forms, interested to have people from all race and gender to be their friend;
· They encourage genuine relationships with guests that enable them to not only preempt needs but foresee desires;
· They have personality and depth;
· They have a desire and unyielding appetite for learning & knowledge—being in-the-know with what is happening in the city and around the world;
· They are creative in areas like music, cinema, art, performance, fashion, design, tech and business;
· They are engaging, socially adept and solution-based individuals able to navigate the scene with confidence and ease;
· They are able to entertain guests in a compassionate, respectful and meaningful manner;
· They are authentically themselves;
· They want to play a role in constructing a kinder and better world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Menu Development:
- Assist Exec. Chef, SHL in sourcing, pricing and creating relationships for all culinary products.
- Recipe & costing documentation
- Competitive Analysis
- Food Cost & Budgeting:
o Work with Exec Chef to Drive strategic sourcing initiatives to increase food quality and consistency and decrease cost.
o Tightly manage recipes, ingredients, and processes to control for allergies.
- Invoice organization & “life cycle”
- Provide costing information
- Managing vendor relationships
- Sales analysis & Avero usage
- Waste awareness & utilization
o Maintain inventory of food and non-food supplies to stay within established guidelines while assuring that necessary product is available when needed
- Spending within budget constraints
- Product cross utilization
o Train kitchen staff in food preparation, safe handling, operation of equipment, food safety and sanitation based on company and Board of Health standards
- Team with Executive Chef & HR for all salaried kitchen employee hires
- Team with Executive Chef and HR for any/all discipline, training and “coach counsel” opportunities
- Monitoring efficiency, productivity and work flow
- Flexing staffing to seasonal trends and scaling labor to revenue
§ Provides oversight to the development of training tools for program implementation. Should include key materials to include manuals, planning diagrams, plating specifications and associated flow diagrams. Also responsible for creating culinary workshops and presentations.
- Menu descriptions, allergy charts
- Staff tastings
- Sous Chef oversight & direction
- Leadership development
- Efficiency & effectiveness
- Monitoring goals and growth
- Maintaining pars
- Budgeting labor expenditures
- Managing OT
- Health & Safety
o Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures as evidenced through local health department
o Establishes and maintains cleaning and maintenance schedules for equipment, storage and work areas. Ensures that kitchen staff follows and completes schedules as assigned
- Staff Training & Education on all food safety items
- Inspection preparedness
- Following proper food safety practices in all of BOH as well as assist FOH
- HACCP Plan & implementation: logs, rigor, etc.
o Follows facility, department, and Company safety policies and procedures
- Repair & Maintenance
- Keeping the kitchen and applicable equipment in working order
- Placing service calls with Engineering
- Educating staff of proper use & care of equipment
- Following up with Engineering Dept. & vendors about repair status
· Previous experience working in restaurant management
· Knowledge of AVERO, Micros, Birchstreet for costing and inventory, Kronos
· This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. This job description reflects the job content at the time of writing and will be subject to periodic change in light of changing operational and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the job holder and the job description amended accordingly. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
· Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department.
· The employee will actively follow The Standard policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.