We aim to bring a fresh twist on and new life to dining and nightlife experiences. Our point of view is informed and refined, and our restaurants, like our hotels, vibrate with the social energy of our time. Core to the experience of The Standard Bangkok Mahanakhon, is our food and drink offerings aiming to broaden people’s horizons while engaging and intriguing our communities.
Throughout the Food & Beverage Division you create unique experiences for guests going above and beyond for them to have extraordinary experience within and across the different outlets.
Responsible for the overall success of the hotel’s wine and beverage programs. As Sommelier you are responsible for curating unique and interesting wine and beverage menus whilst controlling stock levels to maximize revenue and ensure guest satisfaction. Educate service teams on wine product knowledge and service skills. Assists guests with selection and pairings of wines and other beverages and provide the operational services required in a day – to day operation within a specific outlet.
As a Sommelier you demonstrate technical skills and product knowledge and use this to provide daily operational success for the Food and Beverage outlets. You cherish these moments, work together as a team, promote harmony, enhance productivity, and have fun.
As a Sommelier you report to the Head Sommelier and provide guidance to other colleagues when it comes to wine service.
- Assist guests and offer advice with their choice of wine and beverages and be able to up-sell and promote beverages at every available opportunity.
- Ensure correct handling, storage, and cleaning of all wine service equipment.
- Maintain par levels for wine stock, supplies and equipment.
- Complete requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Ensure wine orders are received correctly, properly stored, recorded and kept secured
- Monitor use of opened wine in restaurant outlets.
- Check wine storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness.
- Liaise and coordinate with the Head Sommelier for wine updates, training and promotions and develop and conduct all wine-related staff training programs.
- Be aware of and comply with alcohol licensing laws
- Answer guest questions or concerns regarding the origin, vintage, and style of various wines.
- Ensure all wine lists are current and accurate and update and maintain wine list and point of sales system.
- Conduct vintage and BIN number checks on a regular basis (weekly).
- Ensure a service-oriented culture focusing on guests’ needs
- Be well versed in the hotel’s fire and life safety emergency procedures
- Apply necessary precautions with regards to the hotel food safety and hygiene standards (HACCP)
- Maintain the highest standard of personal appearance and cleanliness
- Perform other duties assigned by the management
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum Secondary / High school education degree
- Relevant qualifications and courses in wine related subjects, including WSET and Sommelier Certification
- Excellent reading, writing and oral proficiency in English and Thai language
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals
- Pre-opening experience an asset