For two weeks at a time, Alma will feature a special doughnut from a different guest chef, alongside a rotating house doughnut. Each beautiful creation costs a mere $8.
Alma at the Standard typically serves off-menu stuffed and glazed doughnuts in flavors like s’mores, popcorn, and Vietnamese coffee, with the flavors changing each week. For Doughnuts with Friends, Taymor tapped chefs who have “an interesting take, a different flavor profile, or just a different way of [seeing things],” and they'll turn loose on a blank, deep-fried canvas.
First up, Baroo’s fermentation-minded chef, Kwang Uh, created a doughnut with pumpkin and coconut glaze, banana filling, and fried mochi topping. Then, Jon & Vinny play on key lime pie. Madcapra’s partners combine coffee and cardamom. The remaining doughnuts are to be determined, but rest assured, they will be equally delicious. See the full line-up below.
● Nov. 1, 2016 - Series Launch - Kwang Uh (Baroo)
● Nov. 15, 2016 – Jon Shook & Vinny Dotolo (Animal, Jon & Vinny’s)
● Dec. 1, 2016 - Sara Kramer & Sarah Hymanson (Madcapra, Kismet)
● Dec. 15, 2016 - Jessica Koslow (Sqirl)
● Jan 1, 2017 - Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream
● Jan 15, 2017 - Russ & Daughters
● Feb. 1, 2017 - Malcolm Livingston (Noma, Ghetto Gastro)
On November 13th, Ally Walsh and Casey Wojtalewicz of Canyon Coffee will host a Sunday Brunch Launch Party featuring one complimentary doughnut per table, as well as pour-over and Aeropress coffee.
The Doughnuts with Friends series will run as long as we, the people, stay interested. “We’d love to keep it going. It’s fun for us,” Taymor said. “It’s always nice to have different viewpoints and palates and personalities to work with.”