Apparently, when you give an architect a microphone and some images they'll talk for hours and hours. That's how, in 2003, Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Klein Dytham architecture came up with the idea for Pecha Kucha, a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds. The images advance automatically and the presenter talks along to the images. Short and sweet.
The Pecha Kucha model has since been adopted by creative types throughout the world and Pecha Kucha Nights are becoming popular with people discussing a wide range of topics from artistic endeavors to vacation photos.
On June 26th, SPiN Standard is hosting a very special Pecha Kucha in conjunction with the Los Angeles Design Festival (LADF). Co-hosted by de LaB and curated by Santino Medina, this LADF Pecha Kucha will give presenters from across the design disciplines 20 seconds to show 20 images. Naturally, the Pecha Kucha presentations will be followed by the ping-pong party to end all ping-pong parties.
The Pecha Kucha x SPiN Standard line-up will include:
- Danielle Rago - Writer/Curator
- Jeffrey Eyster - Abrahams Eyster Architecture, Inc., Principal
- Christian Prasch - Community work in Ghana
- Oliver Hess - Materials & Applications, Director Emeritus
- Yohannes Baynes - Farmland Media, Creative Director
- Mariana Zarate – mzb, Fashion Designer
- Steve Fuchs - Design Professor at Orange Coast College
- Julia Cerrud/Aaron Gutierrez - Amorphica Design Research Office
- Alvin Huang - Synthesis Design + Architecture, Principal
- Steve Purvis – Jones, Partners:Architecture, Associate
- Josh Moratto - Maximal/Moratto A+D, Principal
- Charissa Santos - Graphic &; Interior Designer
- Orhan Ayyuce - Architect
- Jeremy Levine - Jeremy Levine Design, Principal
- Neely Shearer - Parade by neely shearer, Designer/Owner
- Daniel Cardoso - PhD Fellow at MIT School of Architecture and Planning
- Patrick Shields - Designer
- Jonathan Louie - Academic Researcher at UCLA AUD
- Greg Goldin - A+D Museum, Curator
- Liliana Castro – ARCHeffect, Principal
- Lucas Walker - South Park Studios, Technical Artist
Tickets cost $15/person and are available here.