Host / Hostess
The simple premise behind The Standard is that it is anything but. Founded in 1999, the goals of Every Standard are to up the aesthetic stakes and defy convention while attending to every detail, embracing our local communities, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for our teams, and, of course, delivering a smashing good time for our guests.
The Standard’s unique sensibility and voice combine with careful consideration of design and service to deliver experiences that define neighborhoods and create destinations renowned globally.
We believe in hospitality fueled by culture. As we take The Standard to new markets around the world, we retain and enhance our mission of creating hotels layered with personalities, collaborators, and amusements from culinary and nightlife to retail and wellness that surprise and delight our guests.
The Standard, High Line
Rising above a former elevated train line that has become downtown’s favorite public park, The Standard, High Line is in New York City’s Meatpacking District. Every one of the 338 hotel rooms features a full wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with sweeping views of Manhattan and/or the mighty Hudson River. The hotel’s inviting and scintillating public spaces include a bustling German beer garden at ground level, the rooftop discothèque Le Bain, the legendary Top of The Standard, and an outdoor public plaza with rotating art installations and activations. A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York blending traditional steakhouse with New American cuisine.
Our mission is to create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
The host/hostess greets and welcomes guests, seats tables, and maximizes the selling potential of the restaurant area.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet and welcome guests.
- Walk said guests to their table.
- Ensure that the tables are properly set up.
- Organize reservations on the sheet and call back any messages.
- Confirm reservations and effectively fill reservation sheet maximizing seating potential.
- Control and coordinate all tables in the designated section.
- Inform the relevant server and busser of table reservations.
- Give seated guests both food and drinks list.
- Ensure menus are in perfect condition before being presented to the guest.
- Responsible for keeping menu inventory and printing menus daily.
- Assist guest with issues, resolving them and communicating to management.
- Attend F&B meetings.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 1+ years’ experience in upscale restaurant, previous hosting experience preferred.
- Have worked previously with reservation systems like OpenTable and Sevenrooms.
- Able to hear and speak clearly to communicate with guests and co-workers.
- Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures.
- Fluent in the English language, write, read and speak. Bi or Multi-lingual preferred.
- Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks.
- Adherence to uniform, grooming, and personal hygiene standards and expectations per Standard of Operating Procedures.
- Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations.
- Previous work experience in restaurants or hospitality jobs.
- Able to spend the majority of shift upright on feet. Long periods of standing.
- Carrying, pushing, or lifting items weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Periods of outside work.
- Moving about the restaurant, BOH area, and public areas.
- Continuous contact with Guests.
- Bending, kneeling, stooping.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay Rate $20 / Hour.
- Excellent and Affordable Health care coverage.
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Pet Insurance.
- 401k with Company match.
- 160 hours of PTO / year and Company recognized holidays.
- Employee Discounts on Rooms, F&B, Retail, and The Standard Marketplace.
- Employee Meals, Employee Referral Program, Commuter Discounts.
- Regular fun staff events and celebrations!!!
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel which may include overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best-qualified individuals based on job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.