This position is responsible for managing all accounting processes of the property and its legal entities. Oversee all accounting staff daily, manage workflow and assignments. Provide training and mentoring, coaching, counseling and disciplinary action as needed. Maintain accurate financial records and books and protect company assets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform/oversee reconciliation of all bank accounts and balance sheets monthly. Prepare/review all backup to substantiate all balances.
- Manage month end work flow and track through closing checklist.
- Prepare monthly journal entries, accruals, allocations, and prepaid entries.
- Ensure posting of budgets and forecasts to systems/daily reports as necessary, setup of dept. checkbooks within PO system and review during closing.
- Review/approve a/p batches. Review reconciliation of monthly recurring invoices at month end, review PO log for accruals needed.
- Review monthly recurring invoices at end of each month, review purchase order log for accruals needed.
- Prepare/post month end accruals for utilities, wages, PTO, unbilled goods/services received.
- Ensure security of cash banks and preparation/accuracy of all cash deposits, paid outs, and change orders. Ensure banks are audited per policy.
- Oversee/responsible for preparation, filing, and payment of all city, state, and federal taxes; maintain tax schedule.
- Prepare monthly forecasting and annual budgets.
- Responsible for monthly ownership reporting package per ownership standards.
- Monitor hotel operations through financials to ensure compliance with all city/state laws and regulations. Bring issues to senior management immediately when determined.
- Ensure all contracts, licenses, and permits are filed and tracked and maintained for federal and state laws.
- Responsible for the Hotel Management Agreement and ensure that all contractually binding financials are being followed.
- Manage leases and insurance schedules and payments to ensure timely processing and recording.
- Responsible to manage all internal and external audits and to ensure the finance team is enforcing all SOP’s.
- Implement internal controls throughout the property for all financial processes.
- Participate as member of hotel management team. Attend regularly scheduled meetings for education, planning and improvement purposes. Assist on work teams as necessary to resolve problems and adjust processes for improved efficiency, customer service, and profitability.
- Perform leadership duties as assigned such as Lobby Ambassador, MOD, etc.
- Due to cyclical nature of the hospitality industry employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
- Perform various ad hoc analysis as requested in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develops a complete working knowledge of all accounting positions in order to be able to perform those duties in the event of turnover, absence, and/or vacation.
- Attends and contributes to periodic meetings.
- Investigates and critiques variances.
- Operationally responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, income audit, cash handling and disbursements, and all additional accounting processes and financial reporting.
- Master understanding of the chart of accounts, account mapping, job codes, statement configuration, system implementation, and other tables required for posting to general ledger.
- Responsible for balancing and reconciliation of general ledger and financial statements.
- Perform job duties and projects as requested by management.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding: Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures.
- Comprehension: Fluent in English and Spanish languages.
- Organizational Skills: Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks.
- Hygiene and Sanitation: Adherence to uniform, grooming and personal hygiene standards and expectations per Standard of Operating Procedures.
- Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations.
- Extensive knowledge of Opera, Squirrel, Dataplus, Unifocus, and ProfitSword.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong communication and management skills.
- Guest service oriented.
- Work well independently and within a team.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Previous work experience in finance management.
- Basic knowledge of hotel operations.
- Experience in financial management as well as systems.