Associate General Counsel is responsible for working directly with the General Counsel and Company leadership team on a wide range of legal and business matters. Standard International is the company behind The Standard hotels, Bunkhouse hotels, and Peri hotels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, review, and negotiate various agreements, including but not limited to hotel management agreements, technical services agreements, joint venture agreements, license agreements, service and vendor contracts, technology agreements, software agreements, event agreements, marketing partnerships, sponsorship agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Assist on employment, intellectual property, litigation and all other legal and compliance matters.
- Assist in the execution of major business transactions, including hotel acquisitions, management and related transactions, joint ventures and financings.
- Assist in providing legal support to various functions within the organization, including Operations, Sales, Marketing, Human Resources, IT, and Risk Management.
- Assist in managing all aspects of dispute resolution, including employment and general litigation.
- Review and draft employment related documentation and counsel HR department on all employment related issues and oversee compliance with employment laws and regulations.
- Conduct internal investigations.
- Develop and implement corporate policies and procedures.
- Advise on corporate governance compliance and drafting related corporate documentation.
- Establish an effective relationship with the Legal Department and all lawyers and business leaders.
- Establish proactive counseling relationships across all levels and functions to develop and drive revenue and favorable contractual terms for the business.
- Follows direction and task assigned by General Counsel, EVP.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Admittance to the New York Bar or State Bar of another jurisdiction that allows for immediate reciprocity preferred.
- J.D. required.
- At least 4 years relevant substantive experience in a major law firm and preferably, in-house, with a primary focus on transactional work, including the drafting and negotiation of contracts.
- Experience in the hotel, restaurant, and/or hospitality industry (legal and/or business experience) with experience drafting and negotiating hotel management agreements, technical services agreements, joint venture agreements, license agreements and similar hospitality agreements is required.
- Intellectual property and/or employment law experience is a plus.
- Exceptional organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize, coordinate and satisfy numerous competing demands.
- Self-starter with willingness and ability to excel in deadline-driven, high-volume environment
- Strong problem-solving skills to achieve practical business-minded solutions.
- Solid team player with superior interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with others, including senior management, junior staff, hotel staff and third-party business partner.
- Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills.
- Open-mindedness and willingness to accept constructive criticism to further professional development.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task in a high stress environment.
- Adaptability, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to self-reflect.
- Desire to expand beyond thinking like a lawyer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of transactions, corporate governance and intellectual property law.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.