Since its opening in October 2019; Michelin-starred Chef Peter Sanchez-Iglesias merges the Spanish cuisine of his family with his love of Mexico for his debut London restaurant, Decimo. Expect lots of flavour- aquachile (Mexican ceviche), suckling pig shoulder, vegan paella and a new take on tacos with a dramatically different tortilla. Situated on the 10th floor of The Standard, London, Decimo features two separate bar areas, main restaurant which showcases live fire cooking and two semi private dining spaces; with floor-to-ceiling windows and roof terraces providing dramatic views across the London skyline.
Following our temporary closure at the end of last year due to the UK wide lockdown we are now set to reopen Decimo on the 19th May. In preparation for our opening, we are now looking to grow our Sommelier Team and are seeking diverse and dynamic Wine Specialists that are anything but standard! who will capture the very essence of this new London destination.
As a Sommelier at in Decimo you will become part of an exceptional service team that will provide an extensive wine & beverage service in the restaurant. Your focus will be on the selling and service of wine to guests dining in the restaurant, your expertise to recommend, upsell, and match wines to guest menu choices.
Your exceptional knowledge of food and drink will help you immerse our guests into an environment where you will not only be their server, but also their host as you guide them on a journey designed to excite and surprise them; creating a unique wine experience befitting this new London destination!
At the heart of our hotels are of course our people who through their vibrancy and energy bring our properties to life. You will of course be passionate about service, with an exceptional working knowledge of restaurant operations and order of service; along with a deep appreciation of quality wines, champagne and spirits (Mezcal is our speciality) in order to guide and make recommendations to guests based on their preferences
Finally, and most importantly, you will be a host, making our guests feel welcome whilst they visit The Standard and our energetic and vibrant city; so, you will need to be highly social, upbeat and friendly; confident and can handle pressure well; thrive in a busy high volume, high energy environment and can manage multiple tasks and guest with ease.
Do you have what it takes to be a Sommelier at The Standard, London
Prior experience as a Sommelier is essential for this role, however your individuality is your most important asset. While we take every detail of design and guest experience seriously, we do not take ourselves too seriously. ‘Standard People’ are at the heart of our brand; vivid, dynamic and engaging and you too will add a touch of your own personality and theatre to our guest experience while at the Standard. With this in mind you will need to be highly social, upbeat and friendly; confident and can handle pressure well; thrive in a busy high volume, high energy environment and can manage multiple tasks and guest with ease.
- Prior experience as a Sommelier with the ability to engage and connect with a wide range of guests from different backgrounds, ideally gained in a similar ‘Lifestyle’ boutique hotel or destination restaurant
- In addition to those with experience we are actively seeking candidates with a diverse range of lifestyle skills and welcome applications from those in the arts, music and entertainment industries.
- A confident and proven knowledge of wine (knowledge of Mezcal is beneficial)
- Highly social, motivated and pro-active; acting with professionalism and positivity in all interactions
- Any relevant qualifications such as WSET are advantageous but not essential
- You will need to have a flexible approach to working hours with the ability to work shifts, including weekends and nights as our restaurant operates late night.
We are defined by our richness of personality and diversity of background and lifestyle so if you think you have what it takes to be a Sommelier, we’d love to meet with you.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates prior to commencing employment.
- Meals on duty
- Uniform Provided
- Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Employee Rates across all Standard properties
- F&B Discounts
- Recruitment Referral Bonus up to £500
- Tuition Aid Scheme
- Season Ticket Loan & regular social activities
- Bike 2 Work Scheme