To create experiences by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators, and guests, who chose to call The Standard home.
Direct: Director of Engineering
All back and front of house areas.
The Watch Engineer inspects, repairs, and maintains HVAC, air quality control, and refrigeration equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones). CommunicationSpeak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.Exchange information with other employees using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property. Assists ManagementEnsure that hourly employees are trained on company core values, job roles, responsibilities, and technical and service aspects of the job.Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties.Assist management to ensure that hourly employees have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs (e.g., supplies, equipment, and inventory).Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.Listen to hourly employees' suggestions for improving how work is done and how guests are served, gaining management support as needed to act upon suggestions.Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality. Quality Assurance/Quality ImprovementComply with quality assurance expectations and standards.Identify and recommend new ideas, technologies, or processes to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings.Develop and implement quality improvement or corrective action plans. Physical TasksReach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.Move through narrow, confined, or elevated spaces.Move over sloping, uneven, or slippery surfaces.Move up and down a ladder.Assist with moving, lifting, carrying, and placing of objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds.Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.Removal of snow and maintenance of ice management (if applicable). Install, Maintain, and Repair ItemsUse the Lockout/Tag out system before performing any maintenance work.Ensure that all flammable materials are stored in OSHA and EPA approved containment devices.Repair miscellaneous gas, electric, and steam appliances, including kitchen equipment (e.g., dishwasher, oven).Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment, including cleaning and lubrication.Prioritize non-guest repair requests.Respond and attend to guest repair requests.Assist with moving, lifting, carrying, and placing of objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds (e.g., A/C unit, television, and dresser).Carry all equipment (e.g., keys, phones, pager, tools, radio) in order to maintain preparedness to carry out work tasks at all times.Install and maintain appliances, electronics, and equipment.Recommend replacement of defective/outdated appliances, electronics, and equipment. Guest Room Preventative MaintenanceUse the Hotel’s preventative maintenance system.Coordinate scheduled preventative maintenance jobs with guests.Report any serious maintenance problems, unusual findings, or safety hazards immediately to the manager/supervisor.Identify, locate, and operate all shut-off valves for equipment.Calibrate all controls, gauges, meters, and other equipment as required.Monitor and control property temperature to ensure guest comfort in accordance with meeting room 101/102.Test batteries in generators, fire pump, emergency lighting, UPS, etc.Comply with the life safety checklist, including completing the fire-pump run test and generator run test in accordance with local jurisdictions and company policies.Conduct daily inspections of the property's mechanical plant to ensure optimum operating conditions and prevent unnecessary down time or mechanical interruption of operations.Assist in training mechanical level and other departmental hires on equipment, policies, and procedures.Maintain the physical plant of the property according to the company standard operating procedures.Monitor and analyze energy and utilities usage in the property and on grounds using energy management computer software according to company policies, including the efficiency of boiler, chiller, cooling tower, and lighting.Monitor and maintain potable water within acceptable levels.Maintain proper maintenance inventory and requisition parts and supplies as needed.Maintain daily logs of operation, maintenance, and safety activities, including test results, instrument readings, and details of equipment malfunctions and maintenance work.Record information for unfinished calls into “pass-on log book” prior to shift change.Track status of open maintenance issues using computer software (e.g., Guest ware), log book, or white board.Read, log, track, and interpret readings from meters, gauges, and other measuring units. Coordinate with OthersCommunicate with customers when necessary to resolve maintenance issues.Coordinate with, monitor, and supervise outside vendors to resolve large-scale engineering problems (e.g., unresolved A/C problems, internet problems, telephone problems).Provide support to outside vendors such as pest control or holiday decorators.Coordinate with other departments using telecommunications devices in order to respond to requests and resolve maintenance issues. HVAC/RInspect, repair, and maintain HVAC, air quality control, and refrigeration equipment (e.g., boilers, chillers, and air handling units/controls), including charging refrigeration systems, replacing air filters, and cleaning coils.Test and record boiler, condenser, and open/closed loop systems water quality and take any necessary corrective action such as adding chemicals to prevent corrosion and harmful deposits.Activate valves to maintain required amounts of water in boilers, to adjust supplies of combustion air, and to control the flow of fuel into burners.Monitor boiler water, chemical, and fuel levels, and make adjustments to maintain required levels.Monitor and inspect boiler equipment, computer terminals, switches, valves, gauges, alarms, safety devices, and meters to detect leaks or malfunctions, and to ensure that equipment is operating efficiently and safely.Fire gas- or oil-fed boilers using automatic gas feeds or oil pumps.
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to DOE/manager
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary to avoid injury.
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines. Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Follow Hazardous Material Management Program procedures for handling and disposing of chemicals, fertilizer, pesticides, blood borne pathogens, etc., including using Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Maintain awareness of undesirable persons on property premises.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters). Policies and Procedures
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors. Guest Relations
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings. Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust. Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Throughout the hotel we actively seek to employ a unique, diverse and thoughtful group of people that are committed to delivering our unconventional brand of hospitality while also growing with us.
- They are committed to and fully comprehend the idea of being of service;
- They do not just delight guests, but excite them–by creating unique, unexpected & memorable experiences;
- They are ambitious, vibrant and social/friendly individuals;
- They genuinely embrace diversity in all forms, interested to have people from all race and gender to be their friend;
- They encourage genuine relationships with guests that enable them to not only preempt needs but foresee desires;
- They have personality and depth;
- They have a desire and unyielding appetite for learning & knowledge—being in-the-know with what is happening in the city and around the world;
- They are creative in areas like music, cinema, art, performance, fashion, design, tech and business;
- They are engaging, socially adept and solution-based individuals able to navigate the scene with confidence and ease;
- They are able to entertain guests in a compassionate, respectful and meaningful manner;
- They are authentically themselves;
- They want to play a role in constructing a kinder and better world.
- Maintain and conduct daily inspections of the mechanical plant.
- Monitor and control property temperature.
- Monitor and analyze energy and utilities usage.
- Calibrate all controls, gauges, meters, and other equipment.
- Assemble, install, test, repair, and maintain electrical systems or electronic wiring.
- Assemble, install, and maintain pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, etc.
- Perform routine pool and spa maintenance.
- Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance problems, safety hazards, accidents, or injuries; and complete safety training and certifications.
- Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets.
- Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards and anticipate and address guests’ service needs.
- Speak with others using clear and professional language.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees.
- Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards; and identify, recommend, develop, and implement new ways to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings.
- Reach overhead and below the knees.
- Move in confined or elevated spaces.
- Move over sloping, uneven, or slippery surfaces.
- Move up and down stairs, service ramps and/or a ladder.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight.
- Assist with moving, lifting, carrying, and placing of objects weighing in excess of 100 pounds.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Technical Certifications and Licenses
- EPA Universal Certification
- HVAC Certification - FDNY Refrigeration Engineer Q01 qualification
Salary: $36/ hour
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.