Our mission is to provide creatively inspired hospitality that successfully achieves the best in hotel service but also delivers unforgettable experiences fueled by culture for our guests and local communities—always leaving people with surprise and delight.
We bring these promises to life by embracing and empowering a diverse collective of team members, collaborators and guests that choose to call The Standard home.
We are anything but standard. Our DNA is unconventional, dynamic and irreverent.
Unconventional: “That's the way it is done” mentality is never the
Dynamic: We give guests what they want before they know they need it
Irreverent: Play is always just important as stay.
Responsible for the curation of all wine selections and wine lists for the hotel including The Standard Grill, The Top of the Standard, Le Bain, LR &Events and Mini Bar. The Wine Director trains all staff on wine service and wine knowledge through pre-meal meetings and monthly beverage classes in course format. This position also requires ordering all wine as well as the responsibility for hiring and scheduling of Sommelier and wine stewards.
· At least five (5) years of experience in the direction and management of employees in a similar environment which includes at least two (2) years of experience in wine/beverage service and/or high-volume bar service.
· At least 2 years running a cocktail and wine program (responsibilities should include list selection, purchasing, inventory management, staff training, etc.)
· Periodical bending, kneeling, and stretching
· Able to pull, push, carry and lift at least 40 pounds of force
· Must be able to seize, grasp, turn and hold objects with hands
· Ability to clearly hear and speak to communicate clearly with coworkers
· Strong communication, organizational, and management skills
· Previous restaurant management experience
· Guest service oriented
· Have an outgoing, upbeat personality, positive attitude
· Understanding: Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures
· Comprehension: Fluent in the English language
· Organizational Skills: Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks
· Hygiene and Sanitation: Adherence to uniform, grooming and personal hygiene standards and expectations per Standard of Operating Procedures
· Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations
Certification through the
Court of Master Sommeliers
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
· Develop and direct a beverage program that adds quality, value and enhances the guest experience
· Maintain scheduled visits to all bars to test cocktails to include weekly reports on issues and action plan
· Create Existing Cocktail program for all F&B venues
· Ensure all bars have current up to date recipe and look book
· Build and maintain a current & exciting wine list
· Ensure that appropriate physical inventory of all beverage items is available to staff/guests at all times
· Ensure that all POS systems, inventory systems (Accubar), wine lists and any other information pertinent to the selling of beverage remain accurate and up to date and are understood & adhered to by the team
· Achieve monthly Beverage Cost
· Place PO for all beverage orders
· Oversee Monthly Inventory through Accubar
· Update AccuBar weekly for pricing and all new wine items.
· Bill and hold purchases in order to achieve maximum profit for beverage costs
· Interview, select, train, supervise, counsel and coach beverage staff for the efficient operation of the outlet.
· Provide ample and continuous beverage training, tasting and education to ensure staff wine, beer, liquor and beverage knowledge is the best in our industry
· Assess all bartenders to ensure proper service skills
· TIPS classes for all employees
· Hold cocktail tastings, wine classes and server trainings for all aspects of the beverage program
· Establish and maintain positive & productive working relationships with vendors, displaying decorum and respect
· Continuously taste, research and remain active & relevant in the industry
· Ensure excellent maintenance and cleanliness of the dining room and all beverage storage areas at all times
· Organize and complete (when needed) the administrative flow of beverage throughout the restaurant (including but not limited to: updating menu and line up notes, creation of floor plans for sommeliers and others, employee check in, employee check outs, beverage stocking and other side work)
· Maintain effective & timely communication to all FOH/BOH and Home Office team members
· Maintain positive working relationship with kitchen leaders and line staff throughout service periods
· Ensure excellent service & hospitality is provided for all guests, community, vendors and investors
· Continuously provide support to all service staff and actively participate in the cycle of service as needed
· Introduce new brands/ stay relevant with the current trend
Standard High Line Employer, LLC (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. We endeavor to select, place, train, and promote the best qualified individuals based upon job-related factors such as ability, work quality, suitability, experience, and potential.