As our Sous Chef, you are an integral part of the kitchen management team and report directly to the Head Chef. You contribute to the execution of all daily culinary operations and assist in supervising all culinary team members. Most importantly you will oversee service delivery and monitor food quality. As Sous Chef you assist the Head Chef with coaching, training, disciplining, and mediating conflicts. You are patient, empathetic, and supportive towards your team, even in the most stressful situations.
As part of the kitchen management team, you will also assist in many various aspects of kitchen management, from the daily production of food and quality control of products to stock control, food hygiene, and HACCP.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Ensure that all kitchen staff has been trained in and understand the operating and safety procedures for all machinery and kitchen equipment.
· Ensure that all communication tools are being used efficiently and the information is communicated down to all team members.
· To communicate to both internal and external customers in a polite, courteous, and constructive manner.
· To perform duties and responsibilities in a safe and effective manner.
· To be actively involved in creating and maintaining the hotel’s standards, policies, and procedures related to his/her responsibilities.
· Thinks clearly, analyses & resolves challenges and obstacles, exercising good judgment.
· Directs the performance of all outlets’ staff & follows up with corrections immediately.
· Always motivates the kitchen staff at every level.
· Continuously promotes positive work relationships with stewarding and service staff & other departments.
· Entirely capable to prioritize, organize and delegate work assignments.
· Works well under pressure, staying organized and meeting timelines agreed upon with the Senior Executive Sous Chef.
· Responsible to run the kitchen operation smoothly according to the hotel’s standards.
· Review standards regularly & recommends appropriate alternatives accordingly.
· Ensure guest satisfaction & service levels in the kitchen department according to hotel standards.
· Coordinates precisely with other departments and the F&B office.
· Ensure the teams under his/her supervision are informed, trained, and evaluated on product knowledge. Monitor information and training and report to the Head Chef.
· To follow up on every kitchen meeting and briefing, and ensure that the minutes are recorded and filed, in absence of the Head Chef.
· Ensure that the assignation of duties and meal breaks are in accordance with departmental procedures. Identify situations, which compromise the department’s standards and address them to the Head Chef.
· Ensure daily briefings are carried out according to the established procedures, in absence of the Head Chef.
· Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
· Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are followed.
· Able to conduct one-to-one team member performance reviews and submit them to the Head Chef for final approval.
· To work closely with every other kitchen supervisors / Head Chef to evaluate the performances of each kitchen and outlet.
· Communicate with the sales and events team members in an efficient manner and make sound decisions in the absence of the Head Chef.
· Provide feedback to staff on their performance. Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards. Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale and motivation.
· Positively influences team members and addresses any issues, in order to improve communication and execution of tasks.
· Continuously focuses on the potential of staff members & develops their talent to the fullest.
· Continuously controls and is aware of monthly/annual leave records, absenteeism rates, and payroll works within the budgeted / labor cost of the department.
· Cultivates teamwork and good relationships with all Supervisors, Mangers, and Department Heads.
· Shares responsibilities with other kitchen supervisors, as part of their development (good teamwork is the base for the successful execution of our goals).
· Ensure proper staffing levels throughout the operation, and liaises with concerned departments.
· To be prepared for any customer’s special food order request and satisfy the guest, to be able to find an alternative if needed in order to deliver something special to the customer.
· To be ready and able to interact with any customers or help in a polite and courteous manner.
· To be able to take a customer order, recommend dishes, and upsell if the situation occurs.
· To actively promote the services and facilities of hotel to guests, visitors, and suppliers of the Hotel.
· Consistently performs job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy
· Strengthens physical visibility in the F&B outlets, especially during prime hours
· Interacts with guests and inquires that guest contentment levels follow established standards
· Monitor, and handle personally the tools and the standard that is given by the Head Chef and report customer complaints or unusual situations along and in absence of the Head Chef.
· Maintain complete product knowledge of all menus, recipes, and presentation of food according to the Head Chef’s standards, monitor and ensure that all the standards are respected.
· Maintains cleanliness and hygiene level to uncompromising standards
· Maintain complete knowledge and strictly abide by local Hygiene laws, those relating to health and safety.
· Ensure that the quality of food ingredients is always kept to a high standard.
· Report to the Head Chef or/and purchasing manager any food quality issue immediately and record it in the kitchen logbook.
· To maintain continuous training on food quality knowledge for all kitchen staff and monitor their knowledge with regular tests.
· Ensure that the food preparations are labeled dated and checked every day.
· Check all outlets are ready for each service and that all and banquets are standard and on time.
· Report to engineering and Head Chef any broken equipment, malfunctions, or any other situations, which would jeopardize the efficiency of the kitchen operation.
· Work closely with the chief steward focusing on the breakage energy and chemical use and report any abnormality to the Head Chef.
· Continuously focuses on expenses, wastage, and cost control to ensure maximum profits for the department.
· Maximizes staff productivity, impacting labor costs by correct scheduling to reduce levels according to the forecast.
· Achieve established goals and targets as per individual action plans.
· Implements innovative and creative ideas to optimize revenue, control costs of food and profits in the department.
· Ensure that kitchen team members and supervisors report to work as scheduled. Ensure that all procedures to monitor staff and supervisor’s attendance are being completed accordingly.
· Monitor the food orders in the absence or with the Supervisors and Head Chef daily.
· Ensure that the portion control production is followed according to the Head Chef’s standards.
· Manages subordinates within work areas.
· Perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the hotel’s policies & applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees, scheduling, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, and recommending rewards and discipline of employees to the Head Chef.
· Addressing guest complaints and resolving problems.
· Knows about the Kitchen instruction, hotel employee handbook, and is updated for any news and follows them accordantly.
· Ensure that the culinary team comes to work and is in the kitchen as they are scheduled and if coming late, inform the Head Chef, Sous, and/or Kitchen Supervisors accordingly.
· Leads and guides the kitchen teams toward the F&B mission statement.
· Successfully attends training courses to improve skills and knowledge.
· Strives to achieve expected financial results in food and beverage operations.
· Start to understand and learn the financial results and reports
· Minimizes staff turnover to the lowest levels by development and coaching.
· Works closely with the culinary management team on improving opportunities.
· To respond to any changes in the restaurant function as dictated by the hotel.
· Assist in the production of menu items and mis en place for all venues
· Responsible for ensuring service shifts are run properly such as expediting of food in a timely manner alongside or in the absence of culinary management.
· Must know how to cook to the correct temperature and properly sharpen a knife
· Must be familiarized with all necessary menus.
· Must organize time efficiently in order to be set up accordingly
· Must keep stations organized based on Chef’s discretion
· Must properly shelve and rotate all products according to F.I.F.O (first in first out)
· Must properly label and cover all food at appropriate temperatures
· Must remain focused and calm under pressure and always have a good attitude and act professionally; must respond to constructive criticism
· Must be able to adapt to business levels, including staying busy during slow times
· Must be able to prepare all dishes to the standards established by the Hotel
· Communicates with Chefs to ensure that food goes into the window at the same time to complete the table’s order
· Pays attention to calls and responds by repeating the order
· Assists fellow cooks during busy times
· Responds immediately when asked to do something by culinary and F&B management
· Is always punctual and in complete uniform when starting a shift
· Must be properly groomed according to handbook standards
· Maintains a clean and sanitary workstation
· Always has a red sanitation bucket with sanitizer by the station and has sanitation skills
· Always inspects and tastes everything on the station to ensure freshness and ensures that the seasoning and flavor are perfect and consistent in everything prepared
· Must bring own knives and tools and always keep knives sharp
· Helps to clean, consolidate, and organize all coolers and freezers as directed by Property Chef/Kitchen Lead
· Communicates if items are running low or are no longer available (par levels)
· Communicates if orders were made wrong or sent to the kitchen incorrectly
· Communicates if they cannot keep up with the orders coming in or if the items are going to be made outside of the ‘expected’ time
· Provides a level of service consistent with established standards in every aspect
· Performs other duties as requested by the manager, including cleaning and stewarding tasks
· To understand and strictly adhere to the Rules & Regulations established in the Employee Handbook and the Hotel’s policy on Fire, Hygiene, Health, and Safety.
· To report for duty punctually always wearing the correct uniform.
· To comply with the policies of calling sick and any other established attendance policies established by the management.
· To always maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene.
· To respond to any changes in the restaurant function as dictated by the hotel.
· Ensure completion of departmental filing and paperwork.
Qualifications & Requirements
· Understanding: Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures. Basic understanding of revenue management
· Comprehension: Fluent in the English language
· Organizational Skills: Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks
· Hygiene and Sanitation: Adherence to uniform, grooming, and personal hygiene standards and expectations per SOPs
· Full awareness of DOH compliance (NYC DOHMH) so that they may work closely with F&B support maintaining NYC DOHMH and company standards; alongside and/or in the absence of culinary management, shall also act as walk-through liaison whilst DOH is on property.
· Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings when scheduled
· Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations
· Assist in Kronos (payroll) and Birchstreet (ordering system)
· Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
· Strong communication (both written and oral) and management skills
· Guest service oriented
· Ability to apply common sense & understanding to carry out written or oral instructions.
· Ability to deal with problems through variable situations.
· Able to traverse spaces throughout the building as necessary
· Able to work standing for a minimum of 10 hours a day
· Periodical bending, kneeling, and stretching
· Able to pull, push, carry, and lift at least 50 pounds
· Must be able to seize, grasp, turn, and hold objects with hands
· Able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time
· Must work with sharp objects in a safe manner
· Previous college and/or culinary education, culinary apprentice, and/or work experience within a similar area and/or hotel
· Require minimum 2 years of related supervisory experience in the same or similar position
· ServSafe / Food Handler Certificate
· Have advanced knife skills
· Basic knowledge of Excel, mathematical, and computer skills